Charlotte, NC asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Elder Law for South Carolina

Q: I live in South Carolina, do you need a notary signature and seal for a dual power of attorney?

My mother has dementia, we are doing paperwork while she is still mentally here but no money for an attorney. Will, living will, dual power of attorney. I know we can file at the court house, we just wanna make sure we have the paperwork done right.

1 Lawyer Answer
Zach S. Naert
Zach S. Naert
  • Hilton Head Island, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: You should consult with an attorney. If your mother has dementia, she may not have capacity to execute the documents. You may need to pursue a guardianship. You should consult with an elder law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.