Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
South Carolina Elder Law Questions & Answers
4 Answers | Asked in Elder Law, Nursing Home Abuse, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for South Carolina on
Q: My father was in an expensive nursing home in Massachusetts -- a nurse gave him Covid 19 and he died, can we sue them?
Carole Jean Hayes
Carole Jean Hayes answered on Apr 21, 2020

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with the other answer but I also wanted to share that you need to find an attorney as soon as you can, after doing your due diligence. You are going to need to subpoena a lot of documents and talk to the witnesses and get their deposition before their... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for South Carolina on
Q: Is it legal to gift/give 14k to my grandchildren and put in a CD and be the custodian, any paperwork required?

I want to lower my tax interest and still remain in control of monies. Can this be done by just putting CD in their SS#?

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Mar 2, 2020

Take a look at opening 529 accounts for them for education purposes or a regular old Uniform Gift to Minors Act (UGMA) accounts at a bank or brokerage. More information here:

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Elder Law for South Carolina on
Q: My 77 y/o neighbor I believe is being scammed. Involving WalMart cards and money gram. Who can help her? 29582

She received "postal money orders for 3k, she was to cash and send $300.00 keep the balance. She recently sent $200.00 towards $2500.00 needed to release funds of 80k held in ApexCreditUnion.US. I'd like to find someone to help her.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Nov 4, 2019

law enforcement

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for South Carolina on
Q: My dad died Monday and my sister says she doesn't know who the executor of the will is. How do we find out.

Who is the executor of the will? The will is in my sister's hands but she won't open it. Or says she cannot. How do we find out who the executor is? Her name is on the checking account and she is being very sneaky holding back on information.

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Dec 5, 2018

Read the Will. I don’t practice in your state. But states allow an interested person to file a probate and require the production of the will.

See an attorney in your state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.