Florence, SC asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for South Carolina

Q: Do employment attorneys work on a contingency basis? Should I contact a lawyer? Just a few examples below.

A 46-year-old female with a disability, I believe my rights have been violated, and I am seeking justice for the mistreatment I have endured. I am on a team of 6; same job different territories. Issues: Bullied by my boss and it is always done in front of an audience. Favoritism is shown to male team members. There is a wage gap. and Responsibilities and travel are not equal. My pay decreased without my knowledge. I am required to do things that others do not have to do; send my schedule out, when traveling for work I have to stay w/family others stay in hotels. Employees travel for work between 8 -5:30 - I am required to travel before 8 am and after 5:30 pm. Forced into an uncomfortable employee conversation by my manager. Result - employee retaliated against me. My manager is a pathological liar. I was warned by other managers to tread lightly or I will regret it. Should I continue documenting & contact an attorney or spend my time looking for a new job? I am in hell.

1 Lawyer Answer
Zach S. Naert
Zach S. Naert
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Hilton Head Island, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Certainly document everything and contact a Plaintiff's employment lawyer, sooner than later because there are statutes of limitations on your claims, and if you do not pursue them timely you may lose them forever. Some employment lawyers offer free consultations, I always offer free consultations, but others do not. You may also want to consider looking for a new job, but that likely will not prejudice you as to what has already happened. If your wages were decreased without giving you 7 days written notice, that is in violation of the SC Payment of Wages Act. If you are discriminated against because of your sex or age, that could be a violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you are required to work out side of normal hours and are not paid, so long as your are not an exempt employee, you may be entitled to pay/overtime wages for hours worked beyond 40 in any single workweek.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.