New York, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: How is this legal ?? I went to court for eviction with a legal aid the pension is agree to amend petition to include

Present rent which is June the judge gave me till the 14 of July to pay the back owed $ on June 6 my landlord went to city marshals to get me out in 14 days my aid sent me a copy of court paper by mail with another paper saying to pay June rent on time really ?????

Never agreed to that since court was on may 31

It does not say that on the court paper signed by the judge what to do ?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Sandra M. Colatosti
Sandra M. Colatosti
  • Licensed in New York

A: Generally, an agreement to pay the arrears includes a provision to pay the current rent on time. Failure to pay the current rent on time is grounds for the landlord to have you evicted. You can stop the eviction by paying all the rent you owe.

Peter J. Weinman and Steven Warren Smollens agree with this answer

Peter J. Weinman
Peter J. Weinman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Licensed in New York

A: Adding to attorney Colatosti's answer, I want to suggest that your legal aid attorney is really the only person who can answer any questions about the agreement you entered into. Those legal aid attorneys are generally quite good at navigating optimum agreements for tenants and I would trust and follow their guidance.

Steven Warren Smollens agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.