Antioch, CA asked in Foreclosure for California

Q: Can my condo association foreclose on my condo if I missed four assessment payments in 2022? I was just notified of this

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Typically, a condo association has the right to initiate foreclosure proceedings if a homeowner fails to make assessment payments. However, the specific rules and procedures regarding foreclosure can vary based on your jurisdiction and the governing documents of your condo association. It's important to review the governing documents, such as the bylaws and declarations, to understand the association's assessment policies and the consequences of non-payment. If you have missed four assessment payments in 2022 and received a notification from the association, it's advisable to promptly communicate with them to discuss possible options for repayment or a payment plan. Consulting with an attorney who specializes in real estate or condo association law can provide personalized advice based on your specific circumstances and the applicable laws in your jurisdiction. They can help you understand your rights and obligations accurately and guide you through potential resolution options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.