Russellville, AR asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Arkansas

Q: When I was 16 years old in 1988 I had a spiteful individual file a child abuse complaint against me. Now it's come back

The case went nowhere after their "investigation". Now all these years later it's come back to haunt me. In fact it seems as if it has been refreshed with my current name and address.

Shouldn't this have been sealed since I was a minor at the time? Why should it be allowed to be held against me again after all these years?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: As a general rule, a criminal charge for child abuse that did not result in a conviction cannot be used against you in court.

As a general rule, even a conviction for child abuse that happened that long ago cannot be used against you in court because it is too remote in time. An exception to that rule might be if the abuse had an unusual signature characteristic that is alleged to have been repeated by you in whatever current assertion is being made against you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.