Houston, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: Cps showed up after I had my nose broken in a domestic violence incident. Told me that I was not a perpetrator in the

Not a perpetrator in the case. Asked me to take a drug test which I failed....what are they going to do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Plano, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: After a failed drug test, CPS may take a number of steps. These could include:

Developing a Safety Plan: CPS might create a plan with actions that you need to follow to ensure your child's safety. This could include things like drug treatment, counseling, or participation in other services.

Formal Court Proceedings: In more serious cases, or if CPS determines that a child is at immediate risk, they may initiate legal proceedings that could lead to changes in custody or visitation, or even termination of parental rights in some cases.

Placement of Children: If CPS determines the children are not safe in your home, they may arrange for them to stay with a relative or in foster care while you work to meet the conditions outlined in the safety plan.

The specific actions CPS takes can vary widely depending on the details of your situation. If you're dealing with a CPS investigation, it's critical to consult with a Texas family law attorney who can help guide you through the process and advocate for your rights and the best interests of your children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.