Austin, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: in the divorce decree, the dad is to cover the child for med ins + 1/2 of the med bills and does not, how to enforce it

In our divorce decree, the ex was to cover our son w/medical insurance. He did for maybe 2 years, then stopped. I asked for him to restart the coverage and he refused. How can I get this enforced?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can hire an attorney to file a motion to enforce with the court that issued the order. You might also consider getting insurance and asking the court to modify the support obligations to have the father reimburse you for the cost of the health insurance, which can be withheld like child support from his wages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.