Louisville, KY asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Kentucky

Q: Should my child’s father have to pay child support if he’s traveling to see him?

My child is going to be 2 soon and I recently moved to another state 6 months ago.. my child’s father didn’t bother to visit for a whole 6 months until this past weekend and I decided to bring up child support. I felt it was fair I’m living alone and pay all the bills for my toddler, if he’s going to start visiting he should pay child support. He told me that he isn’t going to pay unless I’m also driving my son 8 hours to see him just as often as he visits. He said if we were to go to court they would just deduct all the money for traveling expenses anyways.. he claims he already knows because he has lawyer friends. Then he told me that if he has to pay child support then he’s going for 50/50 custody. How likely is any of this to happen? He’s not on the birth certificate, has never paid child support, and went 6 months without even seeing him.. I feel at a loss of words he doesn’t want to help out. We’re both 20 so I get he’s young and doesn’t make THAT much but I’m over here doing it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Yes. He should still have to pay support regardless of his travel to see him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.