Roxboro, NC asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Construction Law for South Carolina

Q: Can I fire a general contractor? What are the consequences?

No contract for job. Incomplete and shoddy work. Taking too long to complete. Asking for money and has never presented us with an invoice or an accounting of what has been paid. Now asking for $10k. This may turn into a civil lit/contract law situation

1 Lawyer Answer
Zach S. Naert
Zach S. Naert
  • Hilton Head Island, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Although you do not have a written contract, presumably you do have a verbal contract, which is the verbal agreement for the work to be done and the compensation to be paid. It would be a good idea to preserve all of your evidence now, as you noted, it may turn into a civil litigation/contract dispute. You can certainly terminate the agreement between you and the general contractor, the question is how to resolve the present dispute regarding the shoddy work done and the amount of money being requested, hopefully there is a negotiate resolution that would work for both parties. You should retain an attorney to memorialize any resolution in writing so that it is formally completed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.