Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
South Carolina Construction Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Construction Law for South Carolina on
Q: What do I file if a company ignores a Subpoena to produce documents by a certain date?

What do I file if a company ignores a Subpoena to produce documents by a certain date in SC? I am representing myself "Pro Se" because I can't afford the large attorney cost I was told and I make too much to qualify for help. The Company installed the flooring wrong and it is uneven... Read more »

D. Nathan Davis
D. Nathan Davis
answered on Feb 21, 2023

You will need to file a motion to compel and for sanctions if the company is ignoring the subpoena. This is done pursuant to Rule 11 and should get you the desired result. You need to send a letter threatening to file the motion to the attorney for the company.

Unless your case is in...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Construction Law for South Carolina on
Q: can a homeowner sue a contractor if the homeowner has never paid anything ?

Completed two repairs on clients home. He has never paid for either and now is trying to sue me in civil court??

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Mar 8, 2020

More information is needed, such as if the suit is based on valid damages resulting from a breach. One option is to try to arrange a quick consult with a South Carolina attorney who handles contract matters to review the papers. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Consumer Law and Construction Law for South Carolina on
Q: Extreme damage under our home caused by our Air & Heating Company not doing their job, causing me worse health issues.

We hired a contractor to fix a floor inside our home. Once floor was opened up, he found that our air conditioner Duct work was not hooked up to the main unit. When he went under our home he found went insulation, White and Black Mold, floors that need to be replaced. I have tried to reach out to... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 5, 2019

I'm sorry about the health problems you are experiencing, and the state of the HVAC system in your home. You ask for help in finding an attorney. You could search for South Carolina attorneys in the Find a Lawyer section of this website, you could look into the resources of the South Carolina... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Law and Construction Law for South Carolina on
Q: Can I be sued if hvac intermittently stops working in heat due to drain issue?

Hvac works in heat and ac but drain intermittently stops heat from working. Offered to pay for remedy by another company but was refused.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on May 3, 2019

You could try reposting your question in the Landlord-Tenant section, since it hasn't been picked up in four weeks. You are correct in that it involves a contractual/business law matter, but you are speaking of remedies of a company that may have arisen under a lease. What you describe sounds... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation, Construction Law and Insurance Defense for South Carolina on
Q: independent contractor or subcontractor for workman’s comp

I’m a homeowner trying to have a shed built. Anyone I’ve interviewed does not carry workman’s comp insurance. I believe if an employer has more than 4 employees they must carry workman’s comp but in reality that is not often. Can a company I hire to build a shed be classified as an... Read more »

Ilene Stacey King
Ilene Stacey King
answered on Aug 9, 2018

Are you a homeowner or property owner building a shed on your property, or are you in the business of building sheds? If building sheds something you do as part of your business, then you might be considered a general contractor. If you are a property owner hiring a company to build a shed for you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Construction Law for South Carolina on
Q: I was pulled out infront of in a construction zone with signs saying do not pass. Can you help

I drive a big industrial truck and I was headed home from work on the interstate it's a three lane I'm in the far right I am coming up to a construction zone and there are signs that say do not pass .I'm about to take a right and get over on the intersection and this guy whips... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Feb 3, 2018

Generally do not pass refers to people passing on the left. If you're dash cam or intersection cam show him whipping in front of you, great! You may get a reduction in at fault. A lot depends on how the police write it up. See if there is an intersection cam--you have to do this ASAP as images... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Products Liability and Construction Law for South Carolina on
Q: Want release from retainer agreement and no longer owe lawyer. Can i send letter of release or do motion to be released

I want to be released from current attorney and hire a new attorney. I signed a retainer agreement but no longer owe the attorney any money. Can I send the current attorney a letter of release or do I have to go through the courts and do a motion to be released?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Dec 5, 2017

Ask the new attorney how it is best handled. You need to ask for your file, and you may discharge them.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.