Portland, OR asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Foreclosure and Elder Law for Oregon

Q: I am looking into getting stuff together, like a POA, Trust, Will for my 81 year old mother. Also looking to defer taxes

My sister and I live with mom and we are all on disability. I don't know what all we need to do for all of this and we can't afford and attorney. We need property taxes to keep from going into foreclosure. Any help will be appreciated.

1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Go to this website and follow the steps to help your mother defer her Oregon property taxes:


If your mother lives in Multnomah County she may be eligible for free legal assistance (including estate planning) through Senior Law Project: https://oregonlawhelp.org/organization/senior-law-project

If not then she could purchase inexpensive Power of Attorney and Will forms online at Stevens-Ness: https://stevensness.com/

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.