Baltimore, MD asked in Foreclosure for Maryland

Q: Do I have any legal recourse against attorney who mishandled my case and can I file an appeal of Judge's Decision/Order?

I hired a foreclosure defense attorney who has been elusive, not responding timely to emails or phone calls. For several months I have been asking for a Statement of Charges against my initial paid retainer. I received an email demanding money without a breakdown of charges as requested. He has also been working with an independent Paralegal that has been doing all of his research and drafting his motions. Now I received a letter from the Court that my Motion that he filed has to stay a foreclosure has been denied. I'm uncertain if this is because he missed a deadline, but I have not been able to speak to him or his Paralegal.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: File a fee dispute with either the Maryland State Bar Association or the local bar association for either Baltimore County or Baltimore City (if that is where the lawyer is located ot you are located), by going to the below link and identifying the correct fee dispute panel:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.