Fayetteville, NC asked in Child Support, Civil Litigation and Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Husband is double charged with 2 different child support agency’s. PR and Massachusetts

My husband has a son who is 20 years old. He resides in Massachusetts since the age of 5. The mother had an order of child support through assume but when she moved to Massachusetts, she opened on there. We paid child support to her trough Massachusetts and once the child turn 18 it stopped. But Assume has been continuing accumulation of debt since then and have been taking our tax returns and now deducting from his check. The funny thing is the debt never gets any smaller. We live in North Carolina and have no one in Puerto Rico to help us. At this point we consider this fraud. On another note the mother has not received any of the money that was taken from us through ASSUME. And tips on where to begin for help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: If you live in North Carolina, I suggest that your husband retain the services of a Puerto Rico attorney. So long as ASUME is not informed that the 20 year-old's case was transferred to Massachusetts, they'll continue recognizing the amounts owed and surcharges will continue to accumulate. Your attorney would contact ASUME to provide ASUME with the evidence of payments in Massachusetts since his son and the son's mom moved to that state. Your husband will need to request a full payment certification from Massachusetts to evidence ASUME that the child support was paid in a timely manner throughout those years, and request ASUME to eliminate the incorrect amounts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.