Leonardtown, MD asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Maryland

Q: Peace order was falsely filed on me from ex who is upset that I outed her affair to her new fiancé. What can I do?

My ex fiancé of 5 years decided to walk out one day and get with someone new. After only 4 months, she contacted me and Has been having an affair with me for 8 months. I recently exposed her as she and I both knew I had been keeping tabs on her lies. Now that she’s caught up she claimed she didn’t know I was taking pics and says I’ve been stalking her but texts and photos prove otherwise. Says I was also charged with aggravated assault in 08 which is not true! Furthermore, I want to sue for my engagement ring back as the terms of the engagement were never met! She knew about the pics and me saving messages and I have proof. What can I do about all of this?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: You need to go to court and fight the accusations. Full stop. Everything else is of secondary importance. You will need to hire an attorney and combat the accusations. Unfortunately, most states do not have a penalty for making false accusations regarding protection orders. But you cannot simply walk into court and exclaim that she is a liar.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.