Elizabeth, NJ asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Puerto Rico

Q: What do I need to file a CAMBIO de DUEÑOS, and how can I obtain a copy of the Segregation Deed pertaining to property ?

I am in the process of filing for a change of ownership for a property that was left to me by my father prior to his passing. the Escrituras for myself and 2 other siblings were completed years ago, the land was segregated into three parts, in each of our names. Recently, one of my siblings filed a change of ownership, it appears as if they were the sole beneficiary; under their name only and it also uses the exact same cadaster no# that originally belonged to my father. I have tried a number of times to submit the information online to the CRIM as required to be done. I have been denied several times, Each time they request new FORMS. a Declaration of Heirs pertaining to the other portion of the property that was not covered was done. I would like to secure the portion of the property that corresponds directly to my Escitura(deed), and obtain an Independent cadaster no# for my land. Each parcel was assigned a no# of its OWN; I NEED PROOF of the segregation that was completed. help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Your first step would be to procure a registry certification from the Puerto Rico Property Registry. If the segregation was filed with the Registry, the original lot (finca) will identify the three lots. You do not state whether your late father left his will or whether he died intestate. If a will exists, then the Property Registry should be notified to understand who gets what. If your father died intestate, then his entire estate will be divided in equal parts among his heirs; and any real estate that he left behind will belong pro indiviso to all of his children; meaning that no one land lot belongs to no one heir. The property registry would identify when the segregation took place, the deed number, and the notary before whom the segregation was done. With this information, the Office of Notary Inspections can be contacted to identify where the original deed is stored - whether with the notary or under the care of a Notary Archive.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.