Newburgh, NY asked in Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: If a person (father) is homeless, does he still have to pay child support in Florida?

Father is completely homeless, sleeping in the street and does not even have a car. He is paying child support plus arrears. He would have to move out of state with family in order to secure housing, at least temporarily. If he moves, or takes time off from his job to establish living arrangements, how does the child support then get paid, or does he have to do something before leaving the state to make sure they don't issue a warrant. Is there a way to get a modification expedited.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Child support obligations are typically based on the non-custodial parent's income and ability to pay, rather than their housing situation. However, if the father's homelessness or lack of income significantly affects his ability to meet his child support obligations, he may be able to request a modification of the child support order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.