The Woodlands, TX asked in Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: My child graduated high school and just turned 18. Can I just stop paying child support ? Denton county, Texas.

I'm never late on any payment.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Child support typically continues until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later. Review your specific child support order to determine the exact terms and conditions regarding the termination of child support.

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Under a typical court order pursuant to which child support ends if the child has turned 18 and has graduated from high school, yes you can stop paying.

If your wages are being garnished for child support, it does not hurt to submit a proposed order to terminate wage withholding. Otherwise, your employer may continue to garnish your wages for child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.