Herndon, VA asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Business Law and Construction Law for Virginia

Q: I made 10% down payment cash and signed contract. The contractor is forcing me to pay all 100% before installation

I made 10% down payment via check for solar panel installation and signed contract. The company is forcing me to pay the remaining 90% before installation begins or else they won't install. There is nothing in the contract as to when final payment is due other than same day. I thought that meant I would pay immediately after work was completed, not as soon as they showed up at my house before doing any work. They are threatening a penalty if I don't pay before, because the crew would lose out on the job and it was scheduled.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Perhaps you should have a a lawyer rev new the contract you signed?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.