Honolulu, HI asked in Domestic Violence, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Hawaii

Q: My ex's brother is clinically insane, obsessed with me (cause he finds me a threat) and threatens to ruin my life by con

My ex's brother is clinically insane, obsessed with me (cause he finds me a threat) and threatens to ruin my life by contacting my work, landlord, other ex's, etc.

The most recent incident resulted in the brother being flown back to the mainland with his parents.

I live on an island in Hawaii. I told my ex I will take full legal action (against him as well if need be) to prevent his brother from returning to this island as I no longer feel comfortable living on the same island as him.

There is a ton of very detailed context. But I feel like I've already outed myself enough with this level of detail.

But if I have video and text records of the brother being threatening and violent over the past year or 2...is it possible to bar him from this one island in Hawaii?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: Note that I am not an Hawaii attorney. Based on your narrative, it sounds like you likely have grounds for a protection order (assuming HI has anti-stalking protection orders). However, barring your stalker from an island is going to depend on facts that you have not shared. In Ohio, for example, protection orders limit a respondent to anywhere outside of 500 ft of the petitioner. So, if the island is substantially more than 250,000 sq. ft. (like Oahu, Maui, or especially the big island), it is unlikely you can bar him from the entire island.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.