New Jersey, NJ asked in Contracts and Consumer Law for New Jersey

Q: Hello, Can a signed contract be changed or modified in any way?

My Enterprise rental was returned July 3rd. After signing the contract, I noticed the rate was higher than in previous months ($30.40) instead of $22.50 (boyfriend is an employee). This amounts to being charged $110.60 more. What options if any, are available to recoup that money?

Location: Hudson County, NJ

Background: Rented previously from this location with no issues



Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William N. Sosis
William N. Sosis
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Hackettstown, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes, contracts may be invalidated or changed for a variety of reasons. For example, contracts may be subject to fraud, mistake, illegality, duress, undue influence, novation, etc. But rather than pursue a legal remedy, why not write a letter explaining what happened and see if you can resolve the matter yourself? That might be all you need.

Morris Leo Greb agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.