Dallas, TX asked in Probate, Real Estate Law and White Collar Crime for Texas

Q: How to obtain assets as a heir with no will or probate court in one case & no will but probate court in another case.

My brother provided a voided power of attorney document to a lien holder of my mother's home deed after she passed In order to obtain the deed. He also provided the probate court fraud bankstatements for our deasesed uncles estate in order not to pay my share as a hier so I have to separate issues of fraud with the same person.I done my due diligence & have all the supporting evidence proving how the fraud occurred with documentation copies.I just need a savy lawyer to show up & represent me in court.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Hire an attorney with experience in probate litigation. A power of attorney from your mother is, of course, void upon her death. As an heir, you have the right to file for probate of your mother's estate, even though she doesn't have a will. You can ask the court to appoint you as a dependent or independent administrator of her estate.

If you are an heir of your uncle's estate, you can challenge actions taken by your brother in connection with your deceased uncle's estate. You could gain greater leverage if other heirs of your uncle join you. You don't say whether your brother is the executor or administrator of your uncle's estate. Generally, it is easier to remove an administrator than to remove an executor.

You can likely schedule an initial consultation for around $500 to have an attorney look over the evidence you have obtained and discuss with you your litigation budget. Then you can make a decision as to whether your share of the estate makes it worthwhile for you to pursue alone or whether you might need to pool your financial resources with other heirs to spread the cost of the litigation out among you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.