Cincinnati, OH asked in Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: I'm American and my partner is British. What is the best/easiest way to go about marriage and duel citizenship?

We have been together 2 years and both want to do duel citizenship living part time in both countries. We travel currently back and forth monthly and she has started getting questioned by TSA at immigration for the amount of time/trips to the US. What is the proper/easiest route for us to do this correctly? Should we get married in the US first and have her apply for a green card? What visas? What will we have to do to make this go smoothly with the least path of resistance and hassle from immigration officials? We both currently have our permanent residence listed in our respective countries. Up until now shes been traveling on ESTA.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Libertyville, IL

A: The rather restrictive immigration laws have led many Americans to move to Europe. It will be best to plan an appropriate future with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before your loved one is excluded from entering the United States.

A: Neither the US nor the UK prohibit dual citizenship. Your partner can apply to become a naturalized US citizen without giving up her UK citizenship and you can apply for UK citizenship without giving up your US citizenship.

You should each retain an attorney who practices immigration law in the nation where you want to apply for citizenship. A competent, experienced attorney in this area will help make this process go smoothly for each of you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.