Avon Lake, OH asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: What are the Grandparents Rights for visitation in Ohio, my husband and I have full custody.

My Husband and I went no contact with our children’s Grandparents due to a toxic environment, and the Grandmother threatening me in my house, and we felt the decision was best for our family and kids. The Grandparents watched the kids while we worked and it wasn’t a positive time all of the time. My husband and I are still married, we both have great careers, we provide for our kids who are happy and healthy. Our one son is special needs and we go above and beyond for his care, therapy’s, special school, happiness and health. Reading the law in Ohio, it doesn’t really seem like they have rights for visitation and it seems parents have the rights to decide what “third party” has contact with our children. The Grandparents feel they have full rights to the children as they babysat while we worked, I’m questioning if they do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you are married to the father of the children, the grandparents have no rights whatsoever. Not even to visitation. The only way they could get rights is if they seek full custody by establishing that both you and your husband are an unfit parent, an extremely high bar.

If you are NOT married to the father of the children, then the grandparents CAN get visitation rights if they meet a complicated factor test, and it is much easier to get than you think.

In your situation, you can just tell them to buzz off.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.