Mobile, AL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Alabama

Q: Ex is military. Child support is 25%. It hasn't increased even though he has gotten raises. How can I get it adjusted?

Divorce was finalized in TX. He is now stationed in WA. I live in AL.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you want to have the child support amount adjusted due to your ex's increased income, you would generally need to file a petition for modification of child support.

In your case, since the divorce was finalized in Texas but your ex is now stationed in Washington and you live in Alabama, it's important to determine which state has jurisdiction over the child support order. Generally, the state that issued the original child support order retains jurisdiction unless both parties agree to transfer it to another state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.