Columbus, OH asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Ohio

Q: How can I file for my child’s fathers rights to be revoked in ohio

I have a daughter who is 18 months old. Her biological father is on the birth certificate but has not done Anything for her in over 6 months. Can I file for abandonment and have him removed from the birth certificate and his rights revoked? He is on child support and has not paid one payment. I would like to take him off child support as well but would like guidance on how to pursue both if even possible.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you are unmarried, he already has no rights. Ohio law does not provide for any custody or visitation for an unmarried father absent a court order. You don't have to do anything.

If you would like to strip him of any parental rights, the only way to do that is through a stepparent adoption. You would have to marry someone and they would have to adopt your child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.