Asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: My ex got a 7 day extension to file his appearance. Never did. What next? Will I get a default divorce?

I filed for divorce, my ex was served papers. He had 30 days to file his appearance, never did. Missed a court date, then at last court date he shows up, judge give him 7 days to file, still didn't do it. So what next? How many chances will a judge keep giving him and will it automatically go into a default divorce? No children, nothing to divide and both living apart for 7 years. I live in IL he lives in Wisconsin

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If they fail to file an appearance within that timeframe, you may request the court to enter a default against them.

Once a default is entered, you can proceed with the divorce process, including obtaining a default judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.