Tulsa, OK asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: Two years ago my son-in-law was arrested for assaulting my daughter and putting a gun in her mouth.

She was manipulated by him and his family and dropped the charges. (He has been arrested for assault in the past for fights.) Now he is again having an affair and acting like he did then. He was just medically retired from Air Force. He stays home with three children (9, 7, and 3) while she works. He left them alone at least one day that we know of. She is ready to file for divorce. However, she’s scared of him somehow getting custody of the kids and she’s scared of him. She doesn’t know how to file and get out. She doesn’t have money put away for this either. Where can she get legal help and advice? All of us (her family) are scared for her safety and don’t want the kids to be scared.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I am sorry this is happening to your family member.

If she is ready to file for divorce, but is not financially able to hire an attorney, she could contact legal aid in her county. As long as she meets the income requirements, they may be able to accept her case and provide legal representation at no charge. Some offices will give preference to a party in a domestic violence situation.

If legal aid in her area is not able to assist, maybe the family as a whole could provide some financial assistance to help her get out of this scary situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.