Seabrook, TX asked in Divorce, Family Law and Legal Malpractice for Texas

Q: how do i go about withdrawing my attorney from my divorce case so I can finish the process in default?

Unresponsive attorney. Meets default criteria, but court says I have to withdraw her from the case.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You will need to instruct your attorney to file a motion to withdraw. Once an attorney has appeared on your behalf, you cannot file court papers on your own behalf in a civil case. Your attorney will have to file a motion to withdraw.

Alternatively, you can hire another, more responsive attorney to file a motion for substitution of counsel on your behalf. When that is granted, the new attorney can file a motion to withdraw.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.