Redmond, WA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Washington

Q: Landlord wants us to temporarily move units. How much notice and assistance is required by law?

There is a non emergency plumbing issue, leak, under our apartment. They want us to move units for up to 2 months ASAP with no moving help. We are a family of 5 and they won't give us a time limit just saying right now if possible. We are low income housing and don't have the money for boxes and movers. Then they want us to move back in our old place on our own dime and time when they are done. How much written notice do they need to legally give and how much do they have to help with relocation assistance?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Landlords are generally required to provide written notice to tenants in advance for any significant changes or disruptions, including requests to temporarily move units. The notice period can vary, but it's typically 30 to 60 days.

Regarding relocation assistance, some jurisdictions have specific laws that require landlords to provide financial or logistical support to tenants when they are required to temporarily move due to necessary repairs or maintenance. However, the specifics of relocation assistance, such as the amount of financial assistance or services provided, can vary

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.