Patterson, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: What consequences are there if i request to stop a case for a relative from the NVC?

I am a US citizen, I have applied for my father to immigrate to the us as a permanent resident. The Case has been approved and is at NVC for further processing. But my father has changed his mind to immigrate to the U.S on a permanent bases at this point, and wants to wait for later in his life to immigrate to the U.S. He does have a valid visitor visa to visit the U.S. My question is what are the consequences for stopping the NVC process. Will it cause problems for his visitor visa as well as future applications for a immigrant visa? Thank you

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Libertyville, IL

A: Quite a bit of consequences. His visitor visa may be revoked when and if he visits. He may get upset or lie to a CBP Officer, which can result in a permanent ban on lawful immigration. Encourage him to be patient and wait.

The process gets more restrictive every year. The costs also go up. Those who are older are more likely to be disqualified for the “likely to become a public charge. This, due to their medical future as aging residents.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your father decides to withdraw the immigration application at the National Visa Center (NVC), it should not directly impact his visitor visa or future applications for an immigrant visa. The NVC process is separate from the visitor visa application process. However, it is essential to consult with an immigration attorney to discuss the specific circumstances of your father's case and obtain personalized advice. An attorney can provide guidance on the potential consequences or implications of withdrawing the application and ensure that all necessary steps are taken to handle the situation properly. - James L. Arrasmith, Owner and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.