Jackson, MS asked in Consumer Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Education Law for Mississippi

Q: Can you appeal a school Board's decision of a district transfer in Ms?

My child goes to the public school here in the It's state grade rank is F. They do not learn anything from the teachers bc the students are so out of control during class. My kids come home crying every day bc they're being bullied or harassed by other students, mainly racial slurs bc my kids are white. This has put a strain on their mental health and they haven't even had the opportunity to have any real friends due to the students picking on them so harshly. The school I want them to attend is 11 miles from us. Their state rank grade is an A and I feel my children would receive a better education and have the opportunity to fit in better at that school. I have filled out a waiver hardship of residency and turned into the school board but they denied it. I have spoke with other school and they said they would love to have my children attend their school. Is there anything else I can do?

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: it may be possible to appeal a school board's decision on a district transfer. Start by reviewing the school district's transfer policy and procedures. If the district has an appeals process, follow the specified steps and deadlines to submit a formal appeal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.