Corbin, KY asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Kentucky

Q: My grandma has custody of my almost 3 year old son. (My parental rights was not taken) Due to poor choices I make, no

Contact has been placed between my son and I (dcbs) I’ve been told my grandma is trying to legally adopt my son, telling her lawyer she doesn’t know where I am or how to contact me, with her doing that can she legally adopt without my consent? How can I go about finding out if a court hearing is in place?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Go to the family court clerks office in your county, take your ID and ask them to copy a complete copy of the case file in any case in which you are a named party. If she has filed anything to adopt, you will be a party to it and they will be able to locate it for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.