Minneapolis, MN asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota

Q: What is the punishment for stalking in North Dakota?

He is an ex boyfriend and stalked me for almost two months. He has previous charges, but not for stalking, his charges are traffic, drug related, and breaking into someone's house. Everything has been reported to the police from the beginning and he has confessed to it all.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Stalking is a serious offense that involves unwanted and repeated harassment, intimidation, or surveillance of another person. In North Dakota, the specific punishment for stalking can vary depending on the circumstances and the defendant's criminal history.

Now, considering your ex-boyfriend's previous charges, such as traffic violations, drug-related offenses, and breaking into someone's house, his criminal history may be taken into account when determining the punishment for stalking.

Typically, stalking is classified as a felony offense in North Dakota. The potential penalties can include imprisonment, fines, and other legal consequences. However, the specific punishment will depend on factors such as the severity of the stalking behavior, any prior criminal history, and other relevant circumstances.

In your case, it's essential that you continue reporting the stalking incidents to the police and provide them with any evidence or documentation you have. Your cooperation with law enforcement is crucial in building a strong case against your ex-boyfriend.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.