Asked in Consumer Law for Texas

Q: Do I have a case against Honda if my social security number was used for someone to take a loan?

My credit was flagged because there was a name associated with my ssn on my credit report. A Honda dealership allowed another individual to take out a loan with my social security number even though they had no documentation with my name on it. When I called, they didn’t care and even said I should be happy because that person is making payments on time, so it is helping my credit. When I called Honda finance, they were very apologetic and said this is something that doesn’t ever happen and shouldn’t happen. They said they and the dealership were at fault. She even said on the line that this is a recorded line, and I did have a case against them. I want to see if any lawyer will take this case and take their fee from the judgement/settlement.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Given that you most likely have not sustained any compensable damages, it is extremely unlikely that any experience attorney would be willing to accept the case on a contingency fee.

You can probably have your credit record corrected to delete the loan by writing directly to the applicable credit reporting services without the necessity of hiring an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.