Seattle, WA asked in Divorce, Military Law and Family Law for Washington

Q: I been married for 19yrs and have been a Military stay at home mom and my husband is decided he doesn’t want me anymore

He has been in the military for for almost 19yrs and I have been by his side all these years and he says he only has to pay child support and I get nothing from him. I need help!

1 Lawyer Answer
LTC (Ret) Sean F. Mangan
LTC (Ret) Sean F. Mangan pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Silverdale, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You are absolutely entitled to more than just child support. Your military spouse is likely going to receive a military pension, which is a considered to visible property, and you will be entitled to a portion of that property in the divorce process as you would any other piece of property such as a house or investment fund. I highly recommend that you retain an attorney who specializes in military benefits for the resolution of your divorce case. In the meantime, I would recommend that you contact his chain of command, and request that he be ordered to provide interim support to you during the ongoing divorce process and separation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.