East Providence, RI asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Rhode Island

Q: After a drawn out period of time with poor communication, it appears my house will be going up for foreclosure. Advice?

I will speak to the company Monday, but I want to get ahead of this. The home is worth approx $100k more than I currently owe. I wanted to see what my options are. I do not have a lump sum needed to fully catch up with my payments, and have been working to adjust my payments so that I can resume them and add the missed payments to the end of the loan. Some how, each time I go through the process, I am told something was missing from the application and I am declined, told to restart the process. This is despite my sending proof that all information was sent the first time.

I suppose this happened again, this time I received numerous copies of the same letter informing me that the property will go into foreclosure.

What are my options? I have seen the “cash for houses” websites, but I am hesitant to consider that. Would I simply able to sell this home and move to another, therefore this mortgage gets repaid, and the extra 100k can go towards fees & down payment

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Albin Moser
Albin Moser pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: The cash for houses websites are unlikely to be your best option. Selling the house is certainly an option. Also there are programs available through Rhode Island Housing for you to mediate the matter with the mortgage servicer to avoid foreclosure and explore your options to refinance instead. The notices that the mortgage servicer has sent you describe some of your options, because they have to tell you your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.