San Antonio, TX asked in Family Law, Military Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: ex husband trying to take kids away, restraining order. I’m in military training now. What should I do ?

I’m in the middle of military training and my ex served me papers trying to get child support, pay for his attorney and put a temporary restraining order. I am 2 week away from moving training to another state and I have 20

Days to answer

1 Lawyer Answer
Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Plano, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Legal Representation: As you're currently undergoing military training, it's crucial to retain an attorney who specializes in family law as soon as possible. They can represent you in your absence and make sure your rights are protected.

Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA): As a member of the military, you're protected under the SCRA, which can provide certain protections in civil actions. For instance, you may request a "stay" of proceedings, which is a delay in the court case due to your military service.

Response: You need to file a response to your ex's claims. Your attorney can help with this, addressing the issues of child support, attorney fees, and the restraining order.

Communication: Maintain clear communication with your attorney and provide them with as much information as possible regarding your case, so they can represent your best interests.

Remember, it's critical that you seek professional legal advice tailored to your specific circumstances as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.