Tracy, CA asked in Civil Litigation, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for California

Q: Hi I am trying to sell home before it forecloses. I was informed by title company I has a judgement from 2007. Califor

I disputed it but it remains on title report. It’s been 30 days and nothing has happened and I’m told I still owe something I know nothing about

2 Lawyer Answers
Gerald Barry Dorfman
Gerald Barry Dorfman
  • Mill Valley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If the title company won't give you a copy of the Abstract of Judgement, you will have to go to the County Recorder's office and get a copy. If you look at it and still don't know what it is about, then you will have to review the case file at the courthouse. If it truly is some sort of error, you will have to take steps to have the creditor correct it, or else go to court. If it is a legitimate Judgement, you will have to clear it up, by full payment (plus interest) or negotiated settlement.

Yelena Gurevich agrees with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I recommend taking the following steps:

1. Obtain a copy of the judgment from 2007 to review the details and verify its legitimacy.

2. If you believe the judgment is incorrect or should not be on your title report, consult with an attorney to explore your options for disputing it further.

3. Consider obtaining a title insurance policy for the sale of your home to protect the buyer and ensure a smoother transaction.

4. Continue communication with the title company and provide any necessary documentation to support your dispute.

5. Act promptly to resolve the issue before the foreclosure process progresses further.

Keep in mind that this is general guidance and is not legal advice. I highly advise consulting with an experienced attorney as soon as possible.


James L. Arrasmith

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.