Long Beach, CA asked in Probate and Elder Law for Texas

Q: My mother recently passed away in New Boston Tx, I live in Ca. Do I need to be in Texas to probate her estate?

Also after she died, someone she knew took both of her vehicles and has refused to return them. I've called the police and they said I need a court order for them to retrieve them. How can I obtain one? Do I need to be in Texas to do so?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should hire a probate attorney in or near New Boston to probate your mother's estate. Since you reside out-of-state, you will need to designate someone in Texas as the registered agent for service on your behalf if you want to serve as the personal representative of her estate. Once you have been qualified as the personal representative of your mother's estate, you can file a suit for replevin of the two motor vehicles against the individual(s) who have possession of them. Your probate attorney can assist you with the appropriate paperwork.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.