Somerville, MA asked in Construction Law and Municipal Law for Massachusetts

Q: Can I sue a plumber city inspector for not doing his job correctly and I'm losing money because of that?

My plumber requested a rough inspection, inspector came and didn't bother to get out of the car, he saw a pipe outside and asked the plummer to fix it. Plumber fixed it and requested another visit, inspector came and saw pipe on the entrance and asked plumber to fix, plumber fixed and requested another inspection, inspector came found another problem and still didn't check the whole house. Why he didn't check the whole house the first time? This is taking a lot time and money. I'm living in a friend's house because of this situation.

1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: There are numerous laws governing the conduct of municipal officials which may be implicated in your situation. It is also possible that your plumber is the problem. Next time the inspector comes to the house, ask him/her to inspect the entire house. If you are acquainted with anyone on the selectboard, and even if you ae not, consider contacting the selectboard. Consider contacting the building inspector and advising him/her of the plumbing inspector's behavior. Lastly, there is an administrative procedure in Massachusetts regarding municipal officials' conduct of their duties:,the%20BCAB%20at%20the%20end%20of%20this%20form.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.