Asked in Family Law and Child Support

Q: The father of my children is not giving child support. He made sure that me and the kids are out of the country.

So it will be hard for me to collect child support. Do I have a case? Will there be a lawyer who will take my case? Please help me. I have two kids.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Craig Valentine
Craig Valentine

A: I'm sorry to hear about the difficult situation you're facing. Not receiving child support can be challenging, especially when the other parent is not within the same country. While I can provide some general information, please keep in mind that I don’t know what jurisdiction you or your spouse are in. For specific legal advice tailored to your situation, it's essential to consult with a family law attorney in your jurisdiction.

In cases where the parent responsible for child support is not fulfilling their obligation, you may have legal options to pursue child support. Here are some steps you can consider:

1. Consult with a Family Law Attorney: Reach out to a family law attorney who is familiar with child support laws in your country. They can help you understand your rights and legal options for pursuing child support, even if the other parent is not in the same country.

2. Determine Jurisdiction: Determine the appropriate jurisdiction to file for child support. This could be the country where the other parent resides or the country where the children currently reside.

3. International Treaties and Reciprocity: Some countries have international treaties or agreements regarding child support enforcement. These agreements aim to facilitate the enforcement of child support orders across borders. Your attorney can guide you on whether such treaties apply in your case and how to proceed.

4. Government Child Support Services: Some countries have government agencies that provide child support enforcement services. Check if your country has such services and explore their options.

5. Seek Legal Enforcement: If you obtain a child support order in the appropriate jurisdiction, you can seek enforcement through legal means, which may include wage garnishment, property seizure, or other actions.

Keep in mind that international child support cases can be complex, and the enforcement of child support orders across borders may vary depending on the countries involved. An experienced family law attorney can provide you with personalized advice and guidance based on the specific laws and regulations in your country and the country where the other parent is located.

If you are concerned about the cost of hiring an attorney, some organizations or legal aid clinics might provide free or low-cost legal services to those who cannot afford private representation. Consider reaching out to such resources to explore your options.

Remember, the legal process may take time, so it's essential to start the process as soon as possible to secure the support your children deserve.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.