Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Child Support Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Illinois on
Q: I left several messages and emails over 2months but my attorney hasn't contacted me. I need help. What do I do?

Her office stated they would inform her of my issues. That was a week ago.

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq. answered on Jul 28, 2021

I think you already know what you have to do. Terminate her representation . You have the absolute right to do so and to receive a refund of any unused retainer fee that you paid.

Divorce is tough enough, you don't deserve any problems from the one who is supposed to be trying to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Juvenile Law and Family Law for New York on
Q: Girlfriend left me. Left her teen behind. No guardian.I have no income. Teen's Dad long gone. CPS won't return calls.
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Jul 27, 2021

You need to call the CPS hotline in Albany and make a report of a teen with no parents and no support. They have to send someone out within 48 hours to check on the situation and make a determination.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Kentucky on
Q: I have been married 17 years. I live at Fedscreek, KY so how long and how much would a divorce cost. We are 39 years old

We also have 3 kids and we all live with his mom. We have a double wide and we're fixing it up to live up there together but he doesn't want to leave his mom and be a man and pay bills so he won't even fix the water or bathroom up there. It's not livable where we are renovating... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jul 27, 2021

Impossible to say cost. Could be $1,000, could be 25,000. Depends on the amount of time necessary to get it resolved.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for New York on
Q: Can I get a lawyer to investigate my case for child support? I feel like I been paying 20+ years with not solution.

I been paying child support for over 20+ years in arrears and paid off New York in 2 years 30,000. Now Massachusetts is saying I owe them 32000 which not only they take from my check every two week but they take my income taxes i feel like forever and when I look in child support acct it never goes... Read more »

Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel answered on Jul 26, 2021

New York is a big state. What county is the case in? Where does the mother live?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for California on
Q: Child support and threats to harm if I go through court.

Was in an abusive relation for 22 years. August 2018, finally left. Agreed on $200 wk child support (even though he makes a lot of $ & I was stay @home mom.) By Sept, I hadn’t received anything from him. Filed paperwork through court. He found out & freaked out. He sent text msgs saying... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jul 26, 2021

you need a lawyer...............NOW.

preserve the messages, so you can present them to the court.

you want the court to make an order.

Most of us on the DV or Criminal section do not do family law.

I would encourage you to get a local lawyer or contact Legal Aid etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Florida on
Q: What are my rights if my fiance is cheating on me and we have a 2yr old and own a home together in Orlando FL

I would prefer to keep the house and just refinance without him on there, but I am not sure I can afford it, although I was head of household for 2020.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jul 26, 2021

If you are not married, you can't seek a divorce (or dissolution). Thus the laws for disposition of marital property do not apply. Instead, you would have to sue him for "partition" of the property. The property would be sold and each of you would get part of the proceeds.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Tax Law and Child Support for California on
Q: I paid 2,100 for my son's field trip to washington dc before corna, but they only gave a refund for 1,800 (late corna).

I paid 2,100 for my son's washington dc trip which was before corona started, but they only gave me a refund of 1,800 which was 300 less than what i even paid and said its for the processing fee??? Can i sue them?

Scott Richard Kaufman
Scott Richard Kaufman answered on Jul 25, 2021

Sure, why not?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Oklahoma on
Q: Can I get an itemized statement showing all payments&charges on my case? I'm the non-custodial parent.

Why is DHS still taking the full amount of support, $556, even though both of my kids have turned 18 (as of 1/16/21) and are out on their own? Since the case was established $506 went to current and $50 went to back. I thought once current ended only the $50 for back would be collected unless she... Read more »

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden answered on Jul 24, 2021

DHS will often continue to take out the same amount unless/until the wage assignment is changed. You can get an attorney to help you try to lower the payment. You can also request an accounting of payments.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Colorado on
Q: Can I change a child support order to claim my child every year if I have full custody in colorado

Support order from 2016 says the other parent can claim every other year if child support is paid in full. This hasn't been an issue because child support hasn't been paid in full at any time since then. I just want to modify the order so that I am the only one who claims the child unless... Read more »

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Jul 24, 2021

Most parents alternate the tax benefits. You can see if the other parent will agree. You can always ask for a modification, however you would have to justify why it would be in the best interests of the child for you to take the tax benefit each year.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Colorado on
Q: My ex was pregnant before we met. My name is on the birth certificate because we were married. Can I get my name off?

My ex wife was pregnant before we were married. She had the child after we were married, so my name is on the birth certificate. She has told me that she wants me to have no contact with the child anymore. I am paying about 300 dollars a month for child support. Am I able to get my name off of the... Read more »

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Jul 24, 2021

It is difficult to ask for paternity testing if you did not do so in the course of the child support proceedings. The courts at this point do not have an interest in disproving paternity.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Mississippi on
Q: I’m court ordered through DHS to get $160 but I barely get it. If I closed the case & used a lawyer could I get more?

He has like 5 other child support cases but his oldest two kids are grown. My child is 10. He feels like as long as I have him on child support through dhs he doesn’t have to do anything else so he wants me to close my case so that the arrearage won’t add up. He keeps changing jobs and... Read more »

Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin answered on Jul 24, 2021

First, if you drop the case with DHS, the arrearage will continue to accrue. Second, generally, child support is based on a net income figure for the paying parent and any previously court-ordered child support, not the number of children he has. If his older children have emancipated, they cannot... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Louisiana on
Q: When figuring out child support, if remarried, is spouse's income also included with parent of the child ?

My ex was court ordered in 2009 to pay child support, he did for a while but hasn't in 5 or 6 years. I got married in 2014 and file taxes as married filing jointly. I need to file a judgment on my ex for not paying child support but wanted to know if my husband's income will be included... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Jul 22, 2021

Contact the district attorney for your parish to file for contempt. If he hasn't paid in 6 years, you have 4 more years to do this. After that you start to lose money.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Michigan on
Q: I've had my son living with me fir 4 months now and i want custody she has no job no home no way yo take care of him
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jul 22, 2021

You should file a motion for a change of custody.

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: My son’s dad signed birth certificate late. Will i be able to get child support now or will i have to wait ?

We sent the papers in back in June, but it could take up to 10weeks for his name to officially be added to the birth certificate, can i go ahead & get child support or will i have to wait until his name is officially on the document?

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jul 22, 2021

You can file for child support now.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Florida on
Q: Calculating child support using the Florida child support guideline worksheet.

Is line 9b subtracted from line 9a to determine cost from father to mother? (If lines 10-21 are not applicable because father has less than 73 nights.)

Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber answered on Jul 21, 2021

No subtraction. Whoever has the greater number pays that number.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Nebraska on
Q: Wife and I are divorcing. She is giving me full custody. Can she waive alimony and i waive child support?

Wife and I agree on a simple, uncontested divorce. We have 3 minor children. She is granting me full legal and custodial custody, uncontested. She is leaving the state and going far away, so any joint custody will be impossible. She said that she does not want alimony because I have to raise the... Read more »

Vanessa Jean Gorden
Vanessa Jean Gorden answered on Jul 21, 2021

Yes, either party can waive alimony, and if it is waived at the time of divorce, it can never be requested again in the future. Child support is a different story. Even if it is waived initially, it can be modified to request support in the future. There are circumstances where the State will... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Divorce for Massachusetts on
Q: How to prevent college support when not in current order where no relationship exists? (Parental Alienation)

Massachusetts. Children. No Physical custody, No relationship exists. Joint Legal custody. Mother has alienated and isolated father from children's lives. Children are reaching age of college. Father is not in a financial position to support college and also does not desire to support college... Read more »

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa answered on Jul 20, 2021

The Court will be aware of he Contempt filings and you should pursue them if you have not obtained Summonses with hearing dates , make contact with the Court. The Court would determine child support and college contributions of the parties and can consider the overall circumstances. However, be... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia on
Q: My kids live out state with Mom and I have monthly visitation. I would like to see if I can get credit or

adjustment for travel cost? My CS order is 2yrs old. Can this be done?

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jul 20, 2021

A travel deviation is discretionary. You should consult with an attorney. It is possible that even though your order is 2 years old, the support could increase if your income or the child's expenses have gone up, or if the mother's income has gone down.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for California on
Q: Do I have to take my child home to their mom if I have to pay child support- Does it establish custody?

I am paying child support and have been considered present less that 10% of the time. However, my child’s mother does not want to give my child to me. She only drops her off when convenient and will not give her to me even on my days off. Instead she drops them off at a caretaker and says my... Read more »

Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman answered on Jul 19, 2021

Sounds like you are paying support without any enforceable court orders regarding custody. If you want custodial time with your child, you need to petition the court for those orders. Otherwise, Mom can pretty much do whatever she wants.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Florida on
Q: Can my dad take my phone away if i’m 17 and he paid for it?

He paid for the phone and pays for the phone bill but he can just stop that can he take my phone legally?

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jul 19, 2021


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.