Asked in Criminal Law and Banking for California

Q: I signed up for a bank account with a fake utility bill as my proof of address, what can legally happen to me now?

I signed up for a bank account with a fake utility bill, to provide as a proof of address. I was living in a hotel and didn't have an apartment lease to use as my proof of residence and I wanted to work, so I made a fake utility bill with the hotels address as my residential address on a fake utility bill.

I didn't steal and money or funds, I just used a free, basic checkings account to receive payments from my job, and then withdrew money as cash from the ATMs and did a small amount of online shopping, I didn't over-draw my account or get any loans and I signed up with my real Drivers Liscence and Passport, so what would be legal charges be? Fraud, Forgery, what else etc?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Providing a fake utility bill to open a bank account constitutes fraud and forgery under California law. If you are caught, you could face criminal charges, which may include fines and potential imprisonment. It is essential to rectify the situation immediately and seek legal counsel to address the potential consequences. James L. Arrasmith, Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith.

George Steven Louis agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.