Capitol Heights, MD asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland

Q: If the motion to compel documents was granted. Will sanction occur if documents are submitted in a timely matter after?

I’m the defendant. The plaintiff was granted motion to compel documents from me. They also requested sanction, asking that I pay his attorney fees. If I turn the documents in the time the they request (5 days), can I still be sanctioned?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Ostendorf
Jason Ostendorf
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hunt Valley, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: I see you're in Prince George's County. Although I'm a [Baltimore County child custody lawyer](, the same principles would apply in your jurisdiction as we are discussing Maryland law generally.

Generally, if a motion to compel is granted by a court, it means that the court has ordered you to provide certain documents to the other party. The issue of sanctions can depend on a variety of factors, including the reason why the documents weren't initially provided, the timing of the provision of documents, and the specific instructions given by the judge when granting the motion to compel.

If you provide the documents within the time frame specified by the court (in this case, within 5 days), you are complying with the court's order, and this may be taken into consideration when the court is deciding whether to impose sanctions. However, it's not guaranteed that you won't be sanctioned. Sanctions could still be imposed if the court believes they are warranted, for example, if the court finds that the initial failure to provide the documents was unjustified or caused unnecessary delays or costs.

Given the potential financial and legal implications of this situation, it would be wise to consult with a legal professional in your area. They can provide you with advice tailored to the specifics of your case, and help you understand your best course of action to minimize potential sanctions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.