Midfield, TX asked in Family Law and Child Support for Texas

Q: Does Money sent via cashapp not labeled have to be claimed as child support with no orders in place yet ?

Only 2 transactions have a memo “for child”. He with holds money when he is mad or tries to bribe me to do something in order for him to send it or says he will only give me cash in person and I won’t meet him to get ir. He’s borrowed money from me and not returned it and claimed a dependent for a child tax credit that lived with me the entire year that he did not house or support. Even though he has sent money and I do want to credit him for sending some, I don’t feel like he’s paid a fair amount considering these other things, or for the job he had and the money he was making. There are no orders in place yet but I do have a case filed with the attorney general. How do I explain or know what I should claim was for child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elisa  Reiter
Elisa Reiter
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In Texas, child support payments can be made electronically through various methods, including online platforms like Cash App

However, the fact that money is sent via Cash App without a specific label does not automatically make it child support. The determination of whether a payment should be considered child support depends on various factors, including the intent of the parties involved and the specific circumstances of the case.

If there are no court orders in place yet, it is important to establish legal documentation regarding child support. You mentioned that you have a case filed with the attorney general, which is a step in the right direction. It would be advisable to consult with your attorney or the attorney general's office to understand the proper procedures for claiming child support and ensuring that the payments are properly documented.

It is also worth noting that child support calculations in Texas are based on specific guidelines that take into account factors such as the income of both parents and the needs of the child. If you believe that the amount of child support being paid is not fair or does not adequately reflect the other financial obligations of the other parent, you may need to consult with your attorney to explore your options for seeking a modification of child support.

Again, it is crucial to consult with a qualified family law attorney who can provide you with specific advice based on your individual circumstances and the relevant Texas laws and cases. They will be able to guide you through the legal process and help you understand your rights and options regarding child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.