Chicago, IL asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Illinois

Q: How do I get my money back from someone who tricked me into investing into his businesses. How can I sue?

I was told that I was a partner and would start seeing a return on the investment and was manipulated into giving money. I need to know my options as far as if I can recover some of my money back or if there's any alternatives that would allow me to get out of this business venture.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary S. Weiss
Gary S. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Orland Park, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The facts you stated may give rise to a cause of action for common law fraud and statutory fraud, pursuant to the Illinois Fraud and Deceptive Practices Act. You may be entitled to obtain an award of your actual damages and for the attorney's fees and costs you incur.

You may also have what are known as "Equitable Remedies" that might allow you to obtain an award to obtain the interest in the business that you were deprived of.

Please email me if you wish to discuss this further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.