Mason, IL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Illinois

Q: What happens if a father abandons his child and stops paying child support? what can I do?

He has texted me threats before my child was born on taking the child and sending his lawyers after me i never got calls from anyone but he never showed up kept lying and all of a sudden hes trying to take my child away he moved with his new child and his wife he cheated on what do i do

1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: What you do is go see a lawyer as quickly as you can. Do it Monday, if possible. File a paternity case asking that he be named the father, that the court order him to pay you child support, and that the court establish parenting time (formerly known as custody). Until this process is started, each of you has exactly equal rights to the child. Unless there's a court order determining parenting time, either one of you can take the child and move to Tallahassee, Florida, or Nome, Alaska. It's not kidnapping if it's done by a parent unless it's done in violation of a court order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.