Q: Hello, Thank you in advance. I was in the foster care system and want a copy of my records. How can I obtain these?
To obtain your foster care records from your time in the system in New Jersey, follow these steps:
1. **Contact the Agency:** Get in touch with the agency responsible for your foster care placement, such as the New Jersey Department of Children and Families (DCF) or a private agency.
2. **Request Form:** Ask for the appropriate request form from the agency's records department. Fill it out with your details, like name and birthdate.
3. **Provide ID:** You might need to provide identification to confirm your identity, such as a driver's license or passport.
4. **Wait for Processing:** Allow time for the agency to process your request and retrieve your records.
5. **Review Your Records:** Once ready, you can review the records in person or request a copy. Note that there might be a copying fee.
6. **Appeal:** If you encounter challenges, inquire about the appeals process for assistance.
Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.
The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.
Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.