Celina, OH asked in Child Support and Family Law for Ohio

Q: My daughter with her mother moved to Tennessee in 2017. Do I have to keep paying child support after she turns 18?

She turned 18 and graduated high school. She plans joining the military and has a job. The case was transferred to Tennessee and now Ohio where I live. Legal age here is 18 but since the order originated in PR the court is going by the 21 legal age.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The Court and CSEA must follow the language in the latest support Order. You may file a motion to terminate support based on your daughter's emancipation once she is sworn into her enlistment. The court will then arguably have authority to rule on the matter. This is no guarantee but your best shot.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.